Saturday, September 18, 2010

Poor Pliny...

Pliny, Roman Governor in Aisa Minor in the early Second Century, was so puzzled about the Christians brought before him for trial that he wrote his famous letter to the Emperor Trajan asking for his advice. This was the kind of thing he found himself up against:

A certain unknown Christian was brought before him, and Pliny, finding little fault in him, proceeded to threaten him. "I will banish thee," he said.
"Thou canst not," was the reply, "for all the world is my Father's house."
"Then I will slay thee," said the Governor.
"Thou canst not," answered the Christian, "for my life is hid with Christ in God."
"I will take away thy possessions," continued Pliny.
"Thou canst not, for my treasure is in Heaven."
"I will drive thee away from man and thou shalt have no friend left," was the final threat.
And the calm reply once more was," "Thou canst not, for I have an unseen Friend from Whom thou art not able to separate me."
What was a poor, harassed Roman Governor, with all the powers of life and death, torture
and the stake at his
disposal, to do with people like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment