I've finally done it! In order to supplement our modest income, and in an attempt to increase my productivity and time management skills during these months as a full-time mother, I've opened a Provider account on Elance--as a freelance writer, editor, proofreader,and transcriber.--A professional wordsmith. I discovered during these past few weeks that if I organize my time wisely, I have several hours most days which I could put to good use if I really wanted to. I have had extensive training as a secretary, and writing has always been one of my passions and personal study interests. I figured I might as well put my skills to good use.
There are two people I greatly admire who are excellent time managers. The first is my husband, Danny. Two years ago his dad gave him a digital art pad. Danny had only ever doodled before, but he decided to take art seriously and make a career of it. So he began waking up at 4 every morning to study digital painting. He obtained tutorial DVDs of the greatest contemporary masters, and faithfully studied every morning for months. To this end he gave up many favorite pastimes and freetime projects for many months. He persevered through several low-paying first jobs, putting his best into every project, and striving to increase his skills at every opportunity. He's thriving in his newfound profession now, and we are working toward the goal of opening a school for aspiring young digital artists. Besides the fact that he is a most wonderful, caring and attentive father and husband, Danny's courage, humility and perseverance will always be a source of inspiration and admiration to me. View his portfolio here:
http://danielcortes.cgsociety.org
Another person is my eldest sister, Gini. She and her husband have four young children (the eldest is autistic), but despite her enormous workload, she has managed to find the time to invest in her amazing talents of needleworking and handcrafting. To this end she opened an online Etsy Store selling handcrafted jewelry, a first-rate cross-stitching and charting website and monthly newsletter. Visit her site here: http://www.roland-designs.com/
She also keeps an online journal describing her experiences raising an autistic child and his three siblings. I recommend her inspiring, positive and entertaining accounts in the face of many difficulties. http://www.a-mothers-journal.com/
I don't know how she manages, but she's also found the time to work several days a week in a perfumery, in order to increase her family's income.
She and her husband are also some of the most generous people I know, willingly giving to missionaries all over the world, despite frequent hardships.
I firmly believe in the adage "Do Few Things, But Do Them Well". However, doing too few things can lead to a lackluster, unproductive life. So I promised I would do my best to fill my freetime hours with work that I not only enjoy, but that will benefit my loved ones too. Wish me luck!
Friday, July 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment