Friday, July 16, 2010

Library: The Family Nobody Wanted


To all who love kids, whether personally or from a distance:
I want to personally recommend this book, The Family Nobody Wanted, by Helen Doss. It recounts the true story of how she and her husband, Rev. Carl Doss, adopted 12 multi-national children over a period of about 10 years, during a time when the United States was still hung up in racial segregation on a nationwide level, and when darker skinned people were considered an inferior race to the fair-haired dominant population.
It's a well-written, wonderful story, dramatizing the struggles she faced to bring each child into the family, receiving negative pressure from all sides, sometimes even from her own husband, who as a busy pastor with a low salary, sometimes felt he could not support one more child. Their love, faith, simplicity, and downright decency and non-perfect humanness makes this book a profoundly touching tale; one which I highly recommend.

P.S.: A friend lent me her old beat-up copy of the book, and after a fruitless search for a digital copy, I thought I'd put it into digital format to add to my little library, and also to be able to share it with my cherished friends and family. This is the link to the book:
http://www.mediafire.com/?uuqsi7rzsd91itu
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

P.P.S.: An interesting thing I recently discovered about this book, is that its publishing (in 1954) coincided with the Supreme Court's decision to end racial segregation in schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment