Monday, November 11, 2013

Latest Edition of my sewing studio

This is what my poor desk looks like when it's neat, nowadays. Notice the cunning paper-shopping bag which I use for a trashcan in the bottom left corner, and my favourite black-and-red coffee cup which permanently follows me around the house. I have to jam my metal ruler into the lid of my sewing box (THANKS MUM!!!) in order to keep it open while it's on my desk. 
When I'm not sewing, I clear all the stuff off the table, put the lid back over my sewing machine, and centralize the laptop. My speakers don't fit on my desk when the sewing machine is in residence, so I keep them on the floor, which may account for the fact that my husband never thinks the room looks neat nowadays.   

Here's my left drawer: an old reindeer stuffie, bills and correspondence chucked in the back, and a few needlework supplies, as well as my collection of odd thread spools. The yellow plastic case is my on-the-go sewing box, and I keep it fully stocked with needles, pins, seam-ripper, mini-scissors, tailor's chalk, pencil and noteblock (for marking down measurements) spare crochet hooks, and a thimble. 
Now, how on earth did my best sewing scissors end up in here?

Ah, this is my stationery drawer. Notice the elegant little basket where I stash my pencil sharpener.
 I think that gold-coloured bag has odd wires and electronic gadgetry, such as earphones and batteries, but I'm not sure. As you may observe, I'm still the ragman when it comes to saving used wrapping paper. 

Here's a wide-angle shot taken from my bed. Includes bookshelves, desk, and little black cupboard, wherein I stash all my goodies.

 The contents of my secret black cupboard: 
Top shelf: all the books of reference and notebooks for my current book, an old underwear box containing God knows what, my violin case, a copy of my first book, the Legacy of the Nautilus, a pen stand made for me by a grateful OC some years ago, and an old scrap of cloth.
Bottom shelf: My CD collection, CD reader in its styrofoam stand, a plastic bag containing (no doubt) more scraps of cloth, and a rolled-up white quilt which my kids steal whenever they get chilly while invading my bedroom. There's a vanity case in the corner there, too, and I think it has more CDs, but I'm not sure.


Here's the side view: speakers and wires on the floor (when I want to use my sewing machine I have to unplug my computer), my beautiful bedside lamp, and an excellent book (the complete works of Jane Austin) in case I feel like reading before bed. I usually keep my current on-going needlework project in the drawer, to help me relax before going to sleep. The white box in the right foreground is the hard cover of the sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment