Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Belated Birthday of Leny


There are moments in which one wishes one can have readier access to the past, and also the useful ability of tran- scendence, that is to say, freedom from the limitations inherent in matter. This in itself is a persuasive argument in favour of the notion that Man, including the female of the species, yearns for the perfection (and awesomeness) of the Heavenly state.
Be that as it may, it certainly would be absolutely ripping if, whenever the desire arises, one might simply transcend the globe and appear someplace else at will; better still, to be able to transcend the bonds of time and go back to the good ol' days, in the company of ye olde pals, minus all the baggage accumulated during the lapse of years and miles.
All that to say, I haven't seen Elena Steiner--just Leny to her friends--in a coon's age, and we did have such a blast back in Switzerland all those years ago, when we were carefree, slightly mischievous teenagers, with an eye out for adventure.
I remember one occasion in which we were tripping gaily over hills and dales (literally), and nearly got knocked over by an exuberant heifer, who seemed to think that we, or something in our possession, might be edible. We were a tad frightened, I think, until we heard a shrill whistle, and the cowlet ran past us towards the fence. Not a little shaken, and wondering what on earth, we followed the animal and, just as we were in the very act of leaping the cow fence, which HALLELUJAH was not electrified, a tall skinny young lad in soiled white wellingtons, coat and feed bucket, turned a corner on the path not 10 yards away, and stopped dead in his tracks at sight of us. Awkward...
Well, anyway, I don't think I'll ever have occasion to forget that day; both Leny and I were as bright red as poppies, and so, I'm snickering to say, was the lad. His scarlet cheeks made him look all the more comical for his carrot-orange hair. Evidently a farm lad on his way to feed the stock; he was doubtless very surprised at seeing two eccentric-looking females hopping over his cow fence. Not backpackers, as we had no backpack. In a split second of wicked hee-hee-hee-ness, we decided to do the tourist act. Putting on grossly exaggerated accents, we babbled in english, interspersed with a few words in french and switz-deutsche, giving the lad to understand that we wanted a photo. Of him. (His blush deepened considerably, but our smiles and giggles masked our amusement) We snapped one of him, mouth open in protest, one with him and the cow, and finally, one of him with each of us. I think we might have even taken one of the three of us, but I can't say for sure, because much to our horror, those pictures never materialized. The batteries of our ol' camera must have called it a day before we began, or maybe the lens was shut, or whatever. We never got to see those pix with the blushing red-headed lad in the cow-byre suit. If anybody sees him, or if you are the lad in question, pop us a line sometime, because that really was one of the most amusing adventures I've had. Sorry if we made you blush.
Whether or not Leny remembers this occasions, and the countless others that comprised my tenure in her lovely home in ... where the devil was it, I forget the name. Entlebuch, or something-- I'm proud and glad to have known her, and know that my life was definitely enriched by her company and the gracious hospitality and forebearance of her esteemed folks, as well as the other occupants of the beautiful maison. We celebrated my 18th birthday there, her 16th birthday, and now, oh-so-many-years later, I'm waaay overdue to wish her, once again, a very merry birthday, with ever so much love, best wishes for a joyful future and present, another present, and more presents.
PS In preparation for this post, I obtained permission from dear Leny to access her facebook and help myself to a picture of her. However, I regret to say that after sifting through the 4 pages of people named 'Elena Steiner', I only found one picture that looked as though it might be the person in question, and that was almost unrecognizable, due to a significant amount of very red hair which the subject did not possess during our acquaintance. Thereby, I'll have to put the picture-adding on stand-by until I've received word from the lady with specific directions. Excuse the delay! Much love to y'all!
PPS Cancel the above PS; scratch it, obliterate it from mind and memory. Said picture was, after all, Lenny--can't be two identical Elena Steiners on this planet now, can there?

No comments:

Post a Comment