Monday, March 25, 2013

29 Days Left to Live

This is Phoebe Wilding.
Missionary
She had leukemia some time ago, which went into remission after treatment. In February 2013, she was informed that cancer had returned, 
impervious, implacable, and incurable.
She was given the choice between a shaky bone marrow transplant, plus months of harrowing chemo sessions, for a chance of 5 more years, 
or mere weeks to live in peace.
She chose the weeks.

Here's what she wrote on her blog:
I’m sitting here trying to figure out what say, and coming up completely blank. I guess writing this out as a Facebook status makes it just that more real, but you need to know and so here it goes. On Jan 11th i went in for a bone marrow test, to see how my DNA was doing, to see if the abnormalities were still there and what the chances were of the Leukemia coming back. I was told to wait 3 weeks for the results. 11 days later my doctor called me and asked me to come in. At the appointment the doctor told me that not only was the Leukemia back in my bone marrow, but also that it was active. The options he gave me were: a bone marrow transplant which had a 50% chance of success and me surviving up to 5 years. Or I could continue as I am and not do any form of treatment. That would only give me a few months at most. The thing is that once the Leukemia comes back after it’s been in remission, it is very had to get rid of because it has become resistant to the chemo. Considering everything I’ve been through due to chemo, plus the lack of guarantee that the bone marrow will be successful, I have decided to continue as i have been without treatment and enjoy what I have left. I know some of you would like me to keep trying chemo and go for the transplant and do everything i can to fight this, but in praying about it and seeing what i have the faith for, I would prefer to spend my last days in peace, and enjoy life to the best of my ability. It freaks me out just as much as it is probably scaring you, and it’s hard for me to believe that it has gotten to the point that I’m actually sitting here typing this. As hard as it is, i hope you can support me in this so that the few months that i do have, will be peaceful and happy. Besides I’m going to Heaven, and what’s better than that? I love you and am so thankful for your support of me over these last 8 months, it has meant more to me then you will know. I love you!

DECISION

No comments:

Post a Comment